November 6, 2008

Responsibility

One of the most important lessons I have learnt through ministry is my responsibilty towards the people I lead. Its all to easy for a leader to develop a Saviour complex or to try and be a White Knight towards every person and in every suituation.

I have learnt that this approach not only limits their growth because they are never being empowered to think for themselves, it also can affects my growth,because you can get prideful when they are doing everything right and you can feel like a failure when they are doing everything wrong.

To prevent this happening we need to remember we are not responsible for people but to them. Is thier a difference?Yes their is and its incredibly freeing.


When I’m responsible to people I understand they have a choice. When I’m responsible for people I think I should decide for them.


When I’m responsible to people I know they must figure out their next step. When I’m responsible for people I try to tell them what their next step is.


When I’m responsible to people I allow them to bear the brunt of the consequences for their own chosen actions. When I’m responsible for people I assume the guilt, or worse the shame, for them.


When I’m responsible to people I engage in their journey, offering encouragement and teaching. When I’m responsible for people I try to direct their journey, never allowing them to wrestle, mess up or make a wrong turn.


When I’m responsible to people I talk to God on their behalf. When I’m responsible for people I talk to people a lot on God’s behalf.”

3 comments:

Clive Smit said...

What a fantastic post Jeremy! This is very freeing stuff for leaders at all stages of their leadership journey.

Do you mind if I use this post on my Vision Youth Network blog?

Anonymous said...

Did you write this or get it from someone? It is one of the wisest things I have ever, ever, ever read, and it is completely true mate.

Jeremy Sargent said...

I journeled it from a blog I came across.I agree with you Bob,its really helpful ,and really explains the difference of for/to well.Here is the link
http://rianniello.blogspot.com/2009/02/or.html