November 1, 2007

2nd "Gut Check Question"

One of my favorite things I do once a year is watch reruns of the Rocky movies not that I am a huge fan of boxing -but I love the thought of the ordinary guy overcoming the odds and becoming a champion .One of my favorite quotes of Rocky 3 is when Mick turns to Rocky and says.

"But then the worst thing happened that could happen to any fighter,you got civilised

I dont believe that Christ has called us to a passive Faith ,where we just sit out our time on earth playing it safe while waiting for Christs return . Faith is spelt RISK ,and it doesnt matter to what degree that is ,as much as to the fact that we are taking them .When I say "them" I mean doing the things that cause our spirit to soar and our stomach to sink

I never want to be one of those leaders who only say , “Well, you know, I am praying about it!” Many Christians can often use prayer as an excuse for inactivity…but because it sounds spiritual then no one can argue. (please hear this in the context of risk)

I laugh when I read I Samuel 17, the story of David and Goliath.
In reading that story it is clear in I Samuel 17:16 that the Israelites were held in bondage for 40 days by the giant.
I am sure they prayed for God to remove the giant…maybe they sang songs to God about what a giant killer He was…or better yet, they began Bible studies on how to kill a giant. BUT–it wasn’t until David walked down into the valley and cut off the big fellas head off ,that people were set free.

David took a risk. Peter took a risk and because he did he is known as a wet water walker rather than only a dry boat talker

What is the risk that God wants you to take.Take a walk and see what Christ will do

No comments: