October 29, 2007

Six Questions I ask

Every now and then ,its easy for people to drift through life ,this is especially true in ministry .
As leaders the greatest danger is remembering the HOW and forgetting the WHY .To keep us balanced between these two from time to time…in any arena of life there is a time for a “gut check.”

I have a conviction that this needs to be done approx every 26 days .This comes from Nehemiah ,the shortest guy in the bible being only Knee high LOL,who rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem in 52 days .

When the wall reached half its hight (26 days) they experienced the greatest opposition ,and presented Nehemiah with potentially a greater challenge "passivity". In my opionion there is nothing more effective in moving people from being passive to being productive ,than by reminding them of the WHY

Here are six questions I often use to do a personal gut check for ministry..

#1 - Am I Listening To The Voice of God?
#2 - Am I Taking Risks?
#3 - Am I Understanding How Big God Is?
#4 - Am I Surrounding Myself With The Right People
#5 -Am I RoleModelling The Right Behaviours
#6 - Am I Giving It My Best?

I will detail the first 3 of these in futher posts
Interested in comments

3 comments:

James said...

Hi Jeremy,

Interesting questions. I'd like to know why you choose those particular ones (as opposed to 6 others? or why not a 7th?) Maybe that is what you will be doing in the next few posts?

My thoughts were that a list of questions that you regularly ask yourself (in the general sense not just you Jeremy :) should be quite personal. Not in that you wouldn't share them but in that they are questions that are relevant to you. For example I tend to struggle with pride, so a list of questions that I regularly ask myself should in some way challenge my pride. I would possibly include a question asking myself if I am still excited about God and Ministry. Too often I find myself settling into the slog, the duty of ministry rather than the joy.

I'm also thinking that a list should be a dynamic thing as you identify things in your character that need to be checked they could be added to the list, and as things have become less relevant they could be removed?

Just a thought anyway... Currently I don't have such as list but I'm thinking maybe I should make one?

Am I understanding how big God is? No. I don't think I ever will.
Is he getting bigger as I get to know him more?
Yes.

- James

Jeremy Sargent said...

Hi James
Thanks for your reply
You always provide valid feedback ,and I do value your comments and opinion

The questions are very general and broad,I have chosen these ones,as I find at the moment they are providing me with the clearest indication of how well I am going with the present challenges that I have set myself.

They definately are evolving,and the landscape looks very diffent for say family goals,marraige,etc

Yes you are right the questions do need to be specfic and relevant to you.
So I quess with mine they serve 3 purposes,without sounding to structured,to formal

1.Keep me focused on the WHY
2.Give me an indication of where i am on the journey
3.Provide a net to stop me dropping the ball in personal areas of weakness.

I will futher post on each question in detail-so will be more clearer in context

Clive Smit said...

I had too much to write in a comment... so I blogged it. Follow this link: http://clivesmit.blogspot.com/2007/10/to-grow-evaluate-constantly.html

Good post Jeremy!
I totally agree with the need to monthly review and recast vision!